Enterprise Privacy Statement
As an international financial service provider, Foresters Financial (“Foresters”) is committed to respecting your privacy rights and protecting the Personal Information you provide to us. Collecting and using this information to provide our products and services to you is essential to our success and to conduct our business. Our privacy commitment is more than complying with the laws of each jurisdiction where we operate. It is about doing the right thing for our members and customers whose lives we touch everyday by using their personal information however we collect or receive it. We collect only the personal information necessary for these purposes and we are committed to protecting and safeguarding that information. We also ensure that our employees, representatives, suppliers and service providers adhere to our principles and standards when dealing with Foresters business, members and customers.
Foresters – The Independent Order of Foresters, its subsidiaries, licensed representatives and employees.
Personal Information – Any information about an identifiable individual, such as name, age, address, gender, government identification numbers, financial information, health information and medical records. It does not include publicly available information.
We adhere to the following ten principles when handling Personal Information:
- Accountability: We are responsible for Personal Information under our control. We have established a framework for privacy management across all our business operations and have designated individuals who are responsible for monitoring compliance with our principles, policies, standards and procedures.
- Identifying Purposes: We are transparent about our privacy practices and identify the purposes for which we collect, use, retain and disclose personal information.
- Consent: Your knowledge and consent are required for the collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, except as otherwise permitted or required by law. You may provide your consent in writing, verbally, electronically or through our or your authorized representative. Your consent may also be implied. This may occur, for example, where the law permits it, if you do not “opt out” of distribution of your Personal Information when we ask you.
- Limiting Collection: We limit the collection of Personal Information to that which is necessary for the purposes we identify and we collect it fairly and lawfully.
- Use, Disclosure and Retention: We do not use, disclose or retain Personal Information for purposes other than those for which we collected it, except with your permission, or as permitted or required by law. We restrict the disclosure of Personal Information to those who have a need for, and the legal right to, the information. This may include our employees, licensed representatives or service providers who need the information to perform their duties, some of our business areas and subsidiaries who may, from time to time, offer or promote other financial products, benefits or services, or those of select third parties, that we believe may be of interest to our customers. We may also have joint marketing or distribution agreements with other financial institutions that may offer or promote products that we believe may be of interest to our customers. In some instances, our subsidiaries, employees, service providers, representatives, reinsurers, and any of their service providers may be located in other jurisdictions. Personal Information may then be subject to the laws of those other jurisdictions. We will not keep Personal Information longer than is necessary and will destroy or delete it in a manner that is appropriate for the sensitivity of the information, the media in which it is stored or retained, and as required by law.
- Accuracy: We make reasonable efforts to keep Personal Information accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which we use it.
- Safeguarding information: We classify Personal Information and take reasonable measures to protect it by administrative, physical and technical security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of Personal Information, as well as any unauthorized access to Personal Information.
- Openness: We make information about our privacy policies and practices readily available to you subject to any exceptions permitted by law.
- Individual Access: Upon written request, we inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information and give you access to it, subject to those exceptions permitted by law. You may verify the accuracy and completeness of your information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Inquiries and concerns: Our Chief Privacy Officer is located at our corporate head office in Toronto, Canada. We also have individuals responsible for privacy in each jurisdiction in which we operate. If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about the handling of your Personal Information at Foresters, please contact a local privacy officer.
Chief Privacy Officer
789 Don Mills Road
Toronto, ON M3C 1T9
416 467 2530
Local privacy policies
Foresters is an international financial services provider operating in Canada, United States and the United Kingdom. We may supplement this privacy statement with more specific privacy policies that are in line with this statement and principles and, where appropriate, reflect the legal and operational requirements of our business operations or the countries in which we operate. We will provide you with these policies if they apply to your Personal Information. These specific policies will govern in the event of a conflict with this privacy statement.